We have always been a family of dogs.
Or maybe I should say dogs have always been family.
I don't remember even as a child, ever being without a dog.
So in 2011 when I was retired, I was taking my
current pup Oliver ( an American Cocker
| Oliver Jan 17,2001 |
Spaniel) or a walk in the dog park and came across a lady walking a greyhound. Oh I had seen them before at pet stores at what they called "Meet and Greets' They have special sessions at pet stores for the public to meet rescue greyhounds, retired racing pups that now have a chance in life to become a real dog.... My heart melted that day at the pet store, because one gentle greythound came over and place her muzzle inside the cup of my hand and rested there for as long as was neccessary for both of us....
I got talking to the lady walking her dog and mentioned I would love to get a greyhound but with retired traveling I would find that difficult. Hard enough traveling with one never mind two.....I had traveled to the Yukon with Oliver when I retired in 2007 and recently have bought a camper van with more travel plans in the future.....This lady said "well why don't you foster?" and the ball was rolling.....
I contacted Chinook Winds Greyhounds and started the process rolling.
| Lois and Oliver napping in a sunbeam |
Wake Up Loislane (Lois/Lanie) Aug 14, 2004 (7 yrs. old)
My first lady was Lois, her official racing name was
"Wake Up LoisLane" (Where do they get these names?)
Maybe because she was my first or maybe because she was with me a long time (she went into heat the day I got her and couldn't be spay until done) she has remained my favorite. She was born Aug. 14 2004. So she was about 7 yrs. old when she arrived. She must have been fast because she was never used for breeding.
I managed to get her bloodlines history on greyhounddata.com
but no history of races. When she arrived she was highly muscle toned, I think she came straight off the track.
When the dogs arrive they have never been in a house, their only life is a kennel and the track, therefore they have to be house broken, shown how to climb stairs, negotiate slippery floors and housemates...Can you imagine what their world has become....The sights and sounds on car rides, walks in the park, neighbourhood dogs etc.
At the beginning Lois attached herself so strongly to me that she panic when I left her to go shopping. She clawed at her kennel bars and tore open the skin between her toes....Quite the mess to clean up when I got home and quite the sore puppy.
Oliver is my greyhound therapy dog..He shows the dogs the purpose for a dog bed, where to go outside for daily constitutional. and how to cuddle.
| Lois being pampered with her sore paw, and taking full advantage ;-) |
Sept. 27, 2011.
She is tired from her trip. 4 or 5 hours from Cranbrook. Picked her up in Chestemere took her to dog wash before coming home to Oliver.
| Oh that feels good..... |
Lois went into heat the next day so we cancelled spay and she was a permanent house guest for a while....
Couple of weekends later Mike was out camping in the Waiprous area so Jody, Denton and I drove out for the day.
It turned out to be a cool day so we improvised and put an extra fleecy of Jody's on her to keep her warmer....
| Jody, Trouble, Lois and Oliver |
Lois was the centre of attention...Everyone loved her
immediately...and she pretended this was an everyday occurance.....
| Oliver still looking after Lois, even gave her his bed. |
Over the past year the squirrels in the yard have been in mortal danger..Lois managed to catch one, picked him up off the stucco on the house and fatally injured him....Thank goodness Robbie dropped in at the right moment and helped me...!!!!
| Tango |
Lois stayed with us until Nov. 11/2011.
She became a true member of the household so had to endure kids xmas preparations along with the other dogs of the house.
But truth be known, she didn't mind...
It was sad to see Lois go. It always helps to know thanks to Chinook Winds and their careful placement, the dogs are going to home where they are genuinely wanted. Makes it a little easier to give them up.....Although she was such a sweetheart and fit into our life very well....Great memories Lois, thanks for letting us help.....
Lois went to a family in Osoyoos BC.
One more shot of Lois, Oliver and I....
Flying November (Nova) Jan 10, 2004 (7 yrs old)
Nova arrived Nov. 12/2011 She was a brood Mom, she had had three litters of puppies
and weighed 60 lbs. She was a dark brindle colour with a grey face...She looked older than she was....Hard life? who knows, some of the dogs when they arrive are not very healthy, their coats are covered in fleas, ticks and some are quite bald because of it....Their skin is flaky and coats not shiny at all......
I believe if they are fast like Lois was then they are treated much better than if they aren't making the money....A brood mom? I don't know, I wish you had the whole story.....or maybe I don't....
| She likes Oliver already....once a Mom always a Mom |
Big brown eyes...
Nova raced 68 races in total
and 13 offspring
She had three litters of puppies
In June 2007 Nova had a litter of seven puppies
then in April of 2009 she had a litter of two
and again in Dec. 2009 she had a litter of four.
Nova raced at Wheeling Downs (I believe is in Florida) and Woodlands.
| First night at Heather's |
Nova arrived with a hugh bruise on her tummy?
Perhaps a transport injury, maybe jumping out of the transport trailer....We watched it carefully and she healed very well....
Nova was one where her skin was in bad shape...she was almost bald.....She had to wear her polar fleece jacket being November......
| Poor girl! |
| It is November after all.! |
At first they don't recognize the dog bed without the kennel around it....Often they end up off the bed and still manage to sleep...
Eventually though perhaps with Oliver's help, they figure it out and pretend they are a real dog....with a real life....
And in the end, even though there are a couple of dog beds in the house, they seem to prefer to cuddle with Oliver. Some it took a couple of weeks, some asked if he would get off and give it to them, but sooner or later they got the message and as difficult as it was they all eventually shared.....whether there was room or not.......
Up
Nova went to her forever home on Nov. 25/2011 to a single lady with daughters family and grandchildren nearby......A good ending....
Update Oct/2013 Nova was surrendered back to Chinook Winds (part of the contract) If you for some reason cannot keep the dog you must surrender the dog back to Chinook Winds rather than sell or give the dog to another home...This ensures the dogs are placed in appropriate homes. Through the grapevine I hear Nova was placed with some good friends of mine Lorelle and Sunny. They have had numerous greys over the years and have fallen in love with the breed. Such a good feeling to know Nova will have such a good loving home. That is one thing that makes this fostering easier, knowing the dogs go to homes that truly want and deserve these dogs. Nova must be close to 9 yrs. old now.....You are truly now in your forever home hon.
Update Oct 2014 ... I received an email from Lorelle this morning. Nova passed away Oct. 2/14 of potentially bone cancer. She was active and healthy up until the last day when she started to limp and showed she was in pain.....
Coming back to my blog, I was shocked they only had her for one year.....It seems she was there forever.....Its a blessing these dogs even in their last year of their life, they are happy....
Ruchel Feb 4/ 2008 (3 yrs. old)
Ruchel was a Brindle female 61 lbs. She came on a flight from Vermont USA.
Judy had noticed at airport that she appeared to be having difficulty urinating and there may have been blood in the urine, so warned me to watch her.....
Poor girl had a terrible night....She woke me up about 3 am crying, I ran to the kennel and there was blood everywhere....I let her outside and she peed and peed....and of course it happened to be about -20 Very uncomfortable for her......I cleaned everything up and she seemed to be relieved, no longer hemorrhaging....and she slept immediately.....
I called Judy first thing in morning and she returned immediately and took her to vet....
Apparently she had been spayed 6 weeks earlier by a track that had gone belly up with the economy in the states . Obviously they did not have the funds for antibiotics. They also determined she still had surgery staples in her tummy. She had a massive urinary trac infection....We think the hemorrhaging enabled her to urinate, imagine the relief....
Ruchel raced 113 races,at Ebro and Derby Lane stadium (Florida?)
2009 = 31 races 5 wins
2010 = 44 races 7 wins
2011 = 38 races 0 wins
Her illness resulted in a long recoop, lots of sleeping, cuddling. Because we had a real cold snap, not a lot of walks even with a coat on....she seemed not to mind a bit...
By the end of week and into the following week, she got energy back and was forever grateful.
| And of course she learned the ropes. share and share alike |
In fact Ruchel decided she liked to share! Here she is with my granddaughter Maddi.
I'm not sure who is enjoying this the most....
| They learn to curve just as they "lean" |
| Comfy.. |
| Not sure if this is comfy?? |
Ruchel was adopted to a forever home by a single fellow from Edmonton. He drove down to Calgary on yet another cold night with the back seat of his car full of dog beds, blankets and treats etc. for the journey home...
A good feeling to have been there when she needed some help in her life.....
One more reason why this is a good thing....
Mariah
Mariah visited on Feb. 3/2012 thru the 19th. She has a forever home and lives in Chestemere. She was a request to babysit while her Mom was on holidays in Mexico.
Mariah is one of the lucky ones, she has never been a racer, she was purchased direct from a breeder as a puppy. She is what they call a "Blue" greyhound. Actually a beautiful steel grey.
In fact a true greyhound....
and isn't Mariah the perfect greyhound name......
I am thinking Mariah made herself right at home and was very comfortable..
and absolutely no trouble....
Mulberry Turbo (Turbo) Aug. 20 2007 (4 yrs.old)
Jocelyn and I traveled to Chestemere to pick up another dog, a bright sunny day. We met Sunny and Lorelle there as they were picking up a new dog for themselves also....
I think Jocelyn enjoyed her outing with NaNa....there were about 15 dogs there altogether.
We picked up Turbo a beautiful white and red, about 70 lbs.
Turbo raced 97 races
2009= 23 races 5 wins
2010=22 races 2 wins
2011=52 races 7 wins
The all have such expressive eyes..
| Turbo took a liking to Jocelyn |
Looking for his greyhound friends....
![]() | |
| Leaning in for the famous needed hug.... |
![]() | |
| Turbo, Heather & Oliver |
Turbo was only with me one week, he left on April 8th 2012 when a wonderful young couple drove all the way from Vancouver to pick him up....They made a holiday out of it....
Turbo was renamed "Glacier" because of all the beautiful sights seen along the way.
They were already owners of two other greyhounds, one of which was a tripod. I just knew Turbo would be going to the perfect home...
Super Piers (Piers) April 29/2009 (3 yrs. old)
Piers came later on the day the Turbo left.....swinging doors at Heather's
Jody and I picked him up at another foster home that had had two fosters from the original transport. He is the biggest boy I have had. 75 lbs. Super Piers/Super Size! To be honest I was worried about his size and taking him for a walk....I felt if he caught sight of a squirrel or something he could easily pull me off my feet.....In fact, I never had any trouble with him....no lurching or pulling....pretty calm guy....gentle and quiet....as they usually are....
| Gentle Giant |
Piers was very comfortable with Oliver right away....
No more hesitation about males....they are perhaps even more docile, quiet , gentle more than the ladies.
As big as he was, he was little trouble.......
It was very easy for Piers to be buddies with Oliver. side by side....
Oliver as I said for the most part is my greyhound therapy dog....
Out of the whole pack I fostered there was only two that Oliver struggled with.
Nova was a little territorial and at first needed her space, expecially around her bed...She bit Oliver on his ear once....
Oliver is deaf and cannot hear any warnings the dogs may send his way...Something I have to be very careful with for his sake....
This is turning out to be a blog of photos
of greyhounds sleeping with Oliver
but it shows the idea of what
Special hounds indeed....I am forever in love with these dogs....
Piers had 50 races in total
Daytona Beach and Orange Park stadium
(Florida)
| Is he going to fit? |
2010 = 18 races 0 wins
2011 = 32 races 1 win
That fits with Piers character...very laid back not to much drive! Apparently quite smart also....If you don't win you hopefully get adopted......
Piers went to a young couple here in Calgary. May 1/2012 They often call asking if I can babysit while they are out of town....Due to scheduling (this retired lady is busy!) I haven't been able to yet...but certainly am looking fwd. to it....
MN's Uptown Girl (Dolly) Feb. 14/ 2009 (3 yrs. old)
Dolly is a pretty pretty Brindle, great markings on her face and beautiful expressive eyes...
Some dogs just have a way of melting your heart.....Lois and Dolly.....
She is a Brindle and was 63 lbs....just a good size.
| Just look at those eyes....She is asking what is to become of her...and I'm telling her I will look after her. |
Dolly ran 70 races in total Sarasota (Florida?) & Ebro stadiums
2010 =12 races 1 win
2011 = 42 races 9 wins
2012 = 16 races 2 wins
| Pretty face and uncontrollable ears! |
Dolly was an accident waiting to happen....She arrived with greyhound
tail.....wagging it so furiously she had split it open somehow.....So we
wrapped her tail to give it time to heal...
Not
long after she was here I was in kitchen and I heard a loud crash in
living room and here she had broken a very tall vase I had full of
pussywillows and cut her back leg!
So I wrapped that up also.....
| Boo Boo's |
| Found my own personal sunbeam |
I didn't have Dolly very long either....She arrived July 27th 2012 and left on Aug 7, 2012
She was adopted by a lady in Coleman Alberta...Good luck Dolly you will make someone an ideal puppy.....
Trent's girl (Trena) April 10, 2009 (3 yrs. old)
Trena came to visit on Aug. 24/12 She was a little black girl 62 lbs.
| I hear the treats are in this cubboard! |
| And there are squeaky stuffies! |
| And a resident buddy.... |
| Squirrels and birds outside..... |
| I'm exhausted... |
| This can't be comfortable! |
Trena was not with me long either....She went back to Cranbrook with Leah's hubby for adoption in BC I believe......Good luck girl...
TMB My Diogi (Ty) Dec. 28, 2008 (4 yrs. old)
Ty was my greyhound that must have had a story....This big boy came very skinny, they said 72 lbs but I am assuming that was his racing weight...I don't think he was that when he came.....Why else do I think he carried quite the story, because he had an attitude....
He was territorial, had separation anxiety severely ....If I left this boy for any time....even to go out to garage to get dog food....he had a panic attack.....Very affectionate, but could not be trusted when left alone.....He struggled with being kenneled....barked constantly while being kenneled...I purchased baby gate to keep he and Oliver separated when I left them alone...and kept his muzzle on also....Couldn't take the chance of him getting the baby gate down.....The first time I used it there were teeth marks all along the top...so muzzle it was....worked much better than the kennel....
Twice he attacked Oliver the second time wounded him just under the eye to close for comfort...so precautions had to be taken for Oliver's protection.....
And yet, if I was home, he was affectionate with Oliver also.....Only once did he share Oliver's bed and that was when the other bed was in the front of the house and he wanted to be with everyone else.....Often though he would circle Oliver and force him off the bed....
Ty raced for 61 races at Wheeling Downs
2010 15 races 1 win
2011 46 races 4 wins
| Xmas butter tarts you say....Never heard of that! |
| you casually walk close to bed looking nonchalant! |
| You step onto bed close enough for Oliver to notice your moving in! |
| Oh...look what is he going to decide...is it working? |
| No, he is not going to move, desperate measures required. |
| I did it, but I'm not going to like it...... |
Ty was adopted by a family in Cochrane, they had three older greyhounds and had lost two this past year. The remaining old gentleman was very lonely. I am hoping Ty recognizes that need and will melt into a family that recognizes greyhound need for love.....
Certainly not a flattering photo, and shows the mess in the house when company arrives, but it shows just how important it is to a greyhound to be loved.....They would stand forever if they could just for a hug.....
Not so hard to accomplish.....;-)
Sad news, at a later date, I have heard only three weeks after Ty was adopted, he past away while at a vet visit......Poor guy, usually I don't hear how the dogs do after they are with me, maybe thats a good thing.
Chinook
Winds Greyhounds made the very difficult decision in 2013 to change their mandate. Following is a notice direct from their website.
Over
the course of the last couple of years, it has become increasingly difficult to
get greyhounds to Alberta.
Because of the many track closures in the States, most of the greyhounds are
now situated in Florida.
As well, there has been a marked decrease in the number of racing dogs being
born and registered. With this is mind, and knowing that there are still
countless rescue and adoption groups across the country that are in closer
proximity to the dogs than they are, they have made the difficult decision to no longer bring retired
racing greyhounds up from the States…. So after many years ( 2004-2013 ) they are going
to be reducing their commitments but
honoring their contracts with adopters by continuing to care for the hounds that
are already here and to take back any greyhound whose owner can no longer care for him/her
and need to return him/her to them for rehomingI am so grateful I decided to foster when I did....I received as much pleasure from these few dogs as hopefully they received from me.....
There is a new organization forming called Northern Skies Greyhound Assoc.
website http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com/
Looks like I had an opportunity to foster CDN Cold Snap (Snappy) a brindle female
but at the last moment she was rerouted to Edmonton....
Perhaps the future looks promising for greyhounds and I.....I will keep you posted.
Cara (B D's Career Girl) July 10th / 2010 3 yrs old.
Good news, on Oct. 18th/2013 I got a call from Judy asking if I could foster a pup from Florida. She is a brindle female. A beautiful little girl with the biggest softest eyes.
Wow, I look at these photos at time of posting, only two weeks ago and we now have 12 cm of snow in fact right now it is snowing and blowing, such a difference in this country....
Cara is a great greyhound, very quiet, gentle with Oliver and quite comfortable in the house. She seemed to know where to settle on the dog beds at night. Seemed to be restless at night, constantly getting up to stretch and then looking for another comfortable position....Maybe sore or even just chilly....She does have a blankie at night but its often off because of her restlessness..
Cara was very comfortable in the yard, quite willing to collapse and find a sunbeam.
| In for the greyhound hug! |
We were watching very carefully. I had been told she was good with cats, but you have to be careful.
She was fine, comfortable enough to fall asleep and the cats were curious...Madonna even snuck up and sniffed her paw, Cara lifted her head, looked and went right back to sleep......Good girl.
Oliver was very comfortable with Cara, they walked together, explored together. Here he is showing her his domain!
| Pretty girl |
Cara raced in Florida Sarasota.
She had 49 races
Placed 1st. 4 times
2nd. 4 times
3rd. 8 times
4th. 2 times
and 5th 11 times
She was born July 10th/2010
Time for the rest of her life.
| Cara's first snowfall |
Didn't take her long! she rolled in it, she raced around the yard, she barked, she loved it....
| Add caption |
| Add caption |
| Add caption |
Big stretch!!! And Goodnight Oliver, Goodnight NaNa
Cara has been adopted by a Calgary Couple from the UK. They have another Greyhound named Silver. So she goes to a forever home with a companion. Not to be lonely...
update on Cara Nov. 3/03 Cara's forever home called me (how thoughtfull that was) Its not often I hear how the dogs are doing after they leave. so how nice it was to hear from her. Cara is settling in nicely, they have bought Cara a new memory foam bed and she has no kennel in her life anymore. She and Silver the resident male are adjusting to each other. Mom sounds so excited to have her in their life.....Another good story.... Buddy "Wee B" (one year old)My next possibility might be "Buddy" Apparently he is struggling with this new life of his.. What his story was, no one knows. He is a "Lurcher" a dog that may or may not be purebred Greyhound and possibly was used for hunting. He came with his sister (Lady) and she does not appear to be troubled. I hear, he is most comfortable in his safe haven in his crate. He is being hand fed in the crate and lifted out when required.. Judy is thinking a quiet home with an old cocker might be the answer....I hope we can help him.... This following is a email I received from Judy regarding Buddy (Wee B ) and confirming I would foster him... Just gives us more of an idea what to expect.
Just making contact about Buddy again and inquiring if you
are still willing to foster this wee guy.
I’ll give you what I k now about him and you can decide:
My theory is that Buddy has been a little farm dog that
either lived in a barn, an out building or a back kitchen. He’s never been
taught anything and he was probably just fed because he was there. He has a very
weird bark which I’ve only heard once or twice – I get the feeling he may have
been tugged on with a leash but this is only a guess. Although he shy’s away he
doesn’t shake in fear - only tucks his tail. He doesn’t mind being picked up,
hugged, cuddled, redirected. I play with his feet, rub his belly, scratch his
ears, clean his eyes, pet and massage and he’s accepting of it all – such a
sweet, sweet youngster.
Buddy is 1 and came to us 2 weeks ago tomorrow from the Ohio
Lurcher project. He’s extremely timid but I wouldn’t describe him as shy – he
just is young and doesn’t know anything. He hates to go outside so that has been
my biggest struggle with him. I have a harness that I use as a sling, in
addition to his leash, to get him outside. He’ll try to get under something and
just hunker down so as I told you we blocked everything off with snow fence.
We’ll take a look at your steps when we are there tomorrow just to make sure
they are safe for both you and he. He isn’t house trained per say but if he’s
in his xpen he’ll cry to go out. He’s only ever had 2 accidents and 1 of those
was my fault. He usually only goes to the bathroom twice a day so I try to leave
him as long as I dare knowing that when I take him out he’ll have to go. I use
the harness to help me get him out and then the leash to walk him around until
he goes. Buddy’s hate of the cold and outside is our biggest hurdle. He eats
awesome and will let you pick him up and pretty much do anything to him and
never a growl or a peep. He doesn’t mind being cuddled and man-handled and will
give you little licks on your hand. I get right in his xpen with
him.
He makes eye contact readily now and is curious about
everything we do but seldom comes to investigate.
I’m not sure if he is wary of men or just Jim – he won’t even
go to the bathroom for Jim when he’s out.
I purposely ate some cheese and crackers last evening just
outside his xpen. I set my plate on the edge of his bed purposely and when he
thought I wasn’t looking he moved up and stole a cracker, which is exactly what
I wanted him to do. He had to move up within inches of me and he stayed
there.
I treat him from my hand and that has never been an issue. I
make little meatballs to use as interest bait, although when stressed he shuts
down and won’t even bait.
I can’t say enough about wee B, if we can get him over his
fear of the outside and going out our biggest hurdle will have been
accomplished.
I’ll bring food, treats and bait, his xpen, harness, leash
and I have an xtra long leash. This would be so much easier if it was in the
summer and warm weather but we have to work with what we’ve got. I can also
bring a few scatter rugs as the shiny floors he’ll walk on but not his
favorite.
I’ll be up front Heather , he is going to be a longer term
project. I know he has it in him to succeed but it is going to be slow. He is
very fearful of outside noises of any kind and his refusal to walk has prevented
us from even going for a walk. That will come but very slowly.
As I said when we spoke the other day you are my wish foster
home for him and I know he can flourish with your love and attention. Oliver can
work his magic as the greyhound therapy dog.
I’ll wait to hear from you and as I stated before, I’ll come
and pick him up at any time you feel it just isn’t working.
Cheers
Judy
11/05/2013 Introducing Buddy or we call him "Wee B" he seems to respond to that name as the photo shows.... How much I want to know their story, what happened to Wee B to make him so unsure of life. Make him so non trusting of everyone (more so men) I believe he may have been doing better at Judy's perhaps the move set him back a bit.....We are having success in bathroom breaks, he goes everytime I take him outside....The struggle is getting him outside....He is about 50 lbs (tiny for a greyhound ) but Judy gave me harness rather than collar as you have to physically lift him to get him on his feet....once he is by the door he will walk out. Even then he freezes outside and will not walk..... He had a great night, I volunteered at hospital for 2 hrs. and he was still settled comfortably when I got home. Did not hear a peep out of him all night. He has not moved from his bed the remainder of time....! Finally relaxing a bit. Wee B enjoying his sunbeam. Well day 3 of Wee B's new adventure.... Judy told me this was going to be a long term foster and I agreed......but I have to admit I thought he would recognize this was a safe haven for him quicker..... Everyday there are small improvements that do your heart good, but then just as quickly he regresses to hiding again.....for reasons unknown.... Yesterday am.....he came out of his pen (in a quiet spot in the house) 4 or 5 times to be with Oliver and I in the sunroom. That is my morning spot with my news, coffee.. He very quietly comes out and lays with Oliver on his bed.....Sometimes if I say Good morning, he runs back to his pen only to come out a few minutes later....Sometimes a good morning is what he needs and he looks at me directly and puts up his ears....Sometimes just a look out the window will send him back to his safe spot... I was encouraged because he was coming out, then he spent the rest of the day hiding.....other that me lifting him up and outside for his daily breaks...some successful some not ..and yes a couple of accidents due to noises outside that caused a hasty retreat back inside.....We will deal with that later.....I will have to adjust and set up a more reliable schedule for him..... He also hates the cold!!! thankfully the next few days are warmer and I'm home so we will have a better chance to set that schedule...... First attempt at sharing the bed... Big baby step! Wee B is coming out of hiding in the evg. also...I put and extra bed right by my bedroom door and beside Oliver...It worked...he spent the whole night there.... One of his morning excursions, with me talking to him telling him what a good morning it is..... Oliver seems to be reassuring him also :-) He managed a whole 10 minutes this time... until I got up to get another coffee! He is managing to come with me on walks around the block..I can tell when he tenses and tries to stop walking, with a little encouragement he soldiers on....What is surprising he knows exactly where to turn to find his way back home....and just like a pack horse...the closer to home the faster he walks!!! So I must learn to be more patient, he is worth the effort. I hope soon he trusts me and comes to me for reassurance..... 11/11/13 14/11/13 I was so encouraged this morning...He looked so comfortable with Oliver, I assumed he had crossed a hurdle....He hasn't been out for a morning visit since.... Wee B would spend 24 hours a day in his safe haven if I would let him....! I feel like such a Bully lifting him out of his pen and taking him outside or coming to socialize once in a while....If someone comes over to see him, I ask him to come out to the sunroom to visit...He obediently lays on bed without seemingly much stress but the moment he gets the opportunity he runs back to his pen....The only time he willingly walks is when he genuinely needs to relieve himself, he will walk to the back of the yard, piddle then right back in the house...Or if I head to the gate, he knows it's walk time and especially if Oliver is with us he willingly walks.....There are time during that walk, if he meets someone else on sidewalk he flattens down, or if a neighbor talks over the fence, again he flattens down beside me.....If there is no one else around he leads, if nervous walks beside me...touching.... I realize he is going to need much more time....and he's got it....He is worth it....;-) Chinook days are better days, after a walk I suggested we sit on deck for a while and have a cup of tea! I was hoping he just might realize it wasn't such a scardey place.... He found a corner and watched and listened to the new sights and sounds in his new world.... Looks like he's saying "OK is this long enough ?" My old man.. showing him how it's done. 20/11/13 What a challenge Wee B has, I just realized this morning he has been here for 15 days. I have never had a greyhound so traumatized as Wee B....and take so long to develop trust or confidence....I have had dogs arrive not so healthy, suffering seperation anxiety, some that were aggressive towards Oliver etc. but never have I had a dog that has hidden in his safe haven for such a long period. He has never come to me for a hug, although does not tense up anymore when I go to him for hug.....Also when he walks he walks touching my leg most times so I know he is starting to think I'm OK.... He is such a sweetie, you would think that a dog so frightened may be aggressive. There is not an agressive bone in this boy's body....He may flinch and try his best to escape to his safe pen but no aggression ...I thought at first it was the cold he hated when going outside, but yesterday it was -20 and he was striding along right beside Oliver , head high......The day before he balked at the driveway and wouldn't walk....Giving him time and talking to him we achieved another half a block, but that was it....almost had to drag him home..... And this morning what a milestone, for the first time he asked out (at 4 AM) I ran got my boots and coat on (over my nitie) and came back for Wee B...He actually stood and walked very slowly to the back door......first time he did not have to be lifted and dragged to the door. Once he gets to back door he walks...this morning he stood right by Oliver and seemed to be in a rush so I took his leash off... He ran as hard as he could to the back of the yard, piddled , and ran back to door all before I even got to the middle of the yard... What a big step for him.....Then he promptly went back to sleep....did I? Euphoria did not last however, he pooped on his bed after brekkie....without asking out... Baby steps.... 25/11/13 Wee B's first trip to Baker Park yesterday, a Sunday and a Chinook so it was busy... He struggled with voices, noises but not as much as I thought he would. If there was no one around he looked like he was almost enjoying the walk. When challenged, he stopped walking or wanted to return the way we came. At that point we just walked off the path and did some people watching for a while and that didn't bother him unless of course (greyhounds get lots of attention) they wanted to stop and talk or touch him...then he backed up , sat down (sometimes into a spruce tree) or even layed down in which I had to lift him up to get going again....Midway I noticed he was panting and at one point wanted to lay down in the grasses....I realized this boy has not had exercise since he has come, certainly not enough as he doesn't even walk around the house....our 2 or 5 block walks have not been enough for him......He was tired! so we headed home...enough for a first day. 28/11/13 When I look back, there have been good improvements. He now most of the time will run out on his own to piddle etc. Sometimes its overwhelming and if he thinks he hears something he just circles the tree and runs back, not to me standing in the yard but around me directly to the door....and usually I go back and get him and we walk out to the yard together, just to show him there is nothing to be afraid of....Once frightened he never will piddle that attempt is now over and must be tried later...... He is now comfortable with traveling from his pen to the bed in the living room, he has to be coaxed to the bed in the sunroom but once there will stay until it's too much and he walks slowly back to the pen.....I hadn't realized how noisy my area is.....people walking their dogs, car doors shutting, traffic, everything is overwhelming. The past couple of evgs. he actually acts like he wants to play. The two of them get a treat when we settle in the living room, I have been trying to get him to come to me for the treat now he expects them, he will travel over to Oliver's bed but not further..After treats they both get rubs and he gets quite excited, looks like he wants Oliver to play....(not going to happen, Oliver is boring) but still does not come off his bed.....!! Judy has made arrangements for his vet visit next Thursday, I'm afraid he won't even talk to me after that.......! I must mention Wee B's improvements with his walks and his confidence. He is walking ahead with Oliver with his head up and looking around. Such an improvement. We have been going to Bowmont Park off-leash , of course only Oliver is off-leash. He is becomming more comfortable with meeting people on the walks as long as they don't touch him or talk to him. Seems very comfortable with other dogs. Looks like he is actually saying "Come on Mom, Oliver is getting ahead." Wee B is starting to explore his surroundings, sniffing all the scents and piddling at every opportunity. Big improvement for a dog that only piddled when needed. He has a large ability to hold things for a long time and only going when absolutely necessary. Look at this boy, he is even interested in sounds across the water. Tail is still tucked but his head is up and he is not stressed Oliver is way ahead. Oliver knows the way home! Oliver is completely deaf now so no use calling him back, he usually at some point looks back to see if we are coming and waits only if he has to! A warm Alberta Chinook Day.. Me and my Shadow! 07/12/13 Three days after his vet visit and he is doing well, even with temp. -40 with the wind chill. He is managing to run outside on his own...I open the door after putting on his coat, pat his rump and say "Hurry" and he certainly does.... The vet found Wee B's feet all had corns on them. One a very large one that had to be cut out, resulting in a bandage around his paw.. We are wondering if that may be one reason why he is not wandering around the house. Walking may be painful? We will see in a few days, his feet must still be sore due to the treatment but should improve quickly. He also got a spray to moisturize his feet as the pads of his feet are so dry they are cracked....Poor fellow..something new for me.....We will look after the fellow....So far he is sleeping lots, I am leaving cushion in living room, that seems to be where he is most comfortable....He did well at vet, numerous people around did not panic him, had to skid him along the floor a little bit but overall he did well... ..Kudos to Wee B... These weeks before Christmas I want to help him get up off his bed and walk through house on his own, I would like to take harness off and not have to lift him.....It's almost at that point, I now only have to place my hand under the harness and he knows....Sometimes he stops when walking through kitchen, not confident in the kitchen yet.. I tried to ask him to lay on cushion just off kitchen yesterday while I was doing some Xmas baking. It was too much for him and he constantly wandered back to his pen.....Too noisy????? There has been so many challenges he has overcome, I just know he will win.... He is getting more comfortable with people at the vet and on his walks, now we have to work with visitors..He just needs more time.... 19/12/13 Well here we are middle of Dec. there have been more great steps for Wee B, but overall I am still shocked at how long it is taking Wee B to trust, relax and believe that I am going to take care of him....He still loves my attention but still does not ask for it...I have to go to him to get cuddles, ear kisses nuzzles. Last night was the first time he ventured off his bed to explore just a little...all around the bedroom area, no further. He came closer than ever to get a treat from my hand but just traveled on Oliver's bed. He will not come to his name although does respond to it. He is now without his harness and just recently I can get him up and walking to the door with just my hand under his collar (no pulling) I no longer have to go get his leash to get him outside. Judy got some toe nail rubbers from the vet and they are working great, really do provide traction. What a handsome boy. This was last night after we settled in living room, had our treats, and our cuddles. He all of a sudden got up and was curious. This is called the casual stretch gathering courage. Looks like Oliver is saying "Look Mom it's working" He is saying, "I leave my bed for a minute and Look what happens" Wee B eventually settled, did not go any further, would not come to me! But it's yet another Baby step in his life. Perhaps more challenges tomorrow ! 27/12/13 8 weeks Wee B has been visiting! Things look promising. I gave him more challenges prior to and during xmas and he passed.! He is doing so much better on his walks, his panic when approaching others is almost gone. Sometimes he wants to turn back but I talk to him constantly and that seems to help. I think the biggest thing he has learned is it's going to be done my way so there is no use complaining!!!! Evgs. are his favorite time..most evgs. after his supper he moves out to the hallway on Oliver's bed and if I am late, he sits and whines waiting for us. He loves his cuddle time and is now occasionally coming to me on the couch for a cuddle...How I waited for that to happen. Still doesn't happen enough but when I go to him, he enjoys his hugs. Our next challenge is to have him roam the house comfortably, he's close to wandering, his territory is getting larger but seldom past the hallway into the kitchen unless I have my fingers under his collar and we are headed outside....Occasionally my hand just on his back as he heads through the house to the back door....Still will not come to his name and follow me.....My 2 am trip to the biffy involves letting both dogs out for a break! He gets quite excited about that and walks all about his and Oliver's bed including waking Oliver by stepping all over him. The outside has become playtime at that time of morning. I think because it's quiet out there at that time. He will explore the yard, take a couple of runs around the tree and even piddle and poop. Something that would never happen earlier, he could never allow himself the time involved, as anxious as he was to get back in the house. Of course lately we have had a Chinook so that helps! I like to believe it won't be long before he relaxes around the house, in the mornings when Oliver and I graduate out to the kitchen for my coffee and brekkie, Wee B stands on his bed peeks around the corner and whines, he wants our company but has been unable to conquer that last fear.. Accomplishments have been a bath before xmas! I actually was worried about doing that. I knew it was a job I would have to accomplish on my own, he definately would not appreciate someone else helping. He did wonderful, stood quietly the whole time only requiring me to lift him in and out (soaking me in the process). It was easier with him than Oliver, Oliver is a jumper, someone forgot to tell him he is a waterdog. And I suggested a visit to Jody's! The stairs of which she has numerous were the first challenge and I forgot his harness! but we managed and we put a dog bed in the living room and he stayed on that the whole time..No panic over kids (which he had met before) and was very good, very curious with the cats, Monet and Madonna. We decided dogs would stay home xmas day as it would be lengthy and overpowering for him... Wee B meeting Madonna! at Jody's. 12/01/2014 Wow, what happened, time is running by fast.....Christmas is past and the new year dawns. How is Wee B doing? I am still surprised how slow he is going, yes certainly lots of baby steps some funny, some not so! He is now roaming the living room, finally.... I moved his bed over to the other side of the room because when it's time to go outside, he gets so excited, he runs over to Oliver's bed and steps all over him! Still to this day although he knows he is going outside, i have to go to his bed and put my finger through his collar, he immediately gets up and walks to the back door, not realizing I have taken my finger out of his collar and he is walking by himself...! During his travels in the living room he stops by my feet and waits for his hugs....How long have I waited for that? 9 weeks...... I am now taking him by the collar numerous times per day and dropping him into the kitchen, sunroom, etc. he immediately runs back to his pen, but I am hoping eventually he will stay recognizing it's not scarey....Sounds are also still an issue, car doors, he even watches out the window and if neighbors are backing out of the driveway its enough to send him to safety..... This morning we are having a Chinook, the noises created by that wind are to much for him and he is storing up! Doesn't want to go outside....If I force him he doesn't go anyway.. This weekend I am planning on heading up to Sundre for a visit with Doc and Mable. Judy is going to babysit for me, it will be very interesting to see how he reacts in a different enviornment. I will send his harness which he hasn't worn for a month just because I don't know if he will need it..... Downside! Wee B has started chewing! I am sure he is bored, he doesn't even roam the house yet so his only 'exercise' is our daily walks. He now is roaming the front part of the house during the evg. relax time for us...I noticed the other day my magazine rack in the hallway has the corner chewed on it.....!!!! So a trip to Sunnyside yesterday for a couple of chew toys.....even got a Kong to put the treats inside....had to get two of course so the old man would not be slighted....So far its working I saw him a couple of times playing and chewing, throwing it up in the air etc..... I have never had to deal with chewing with the greyhounds but I have to remember he is young only 15 months or so...... Jan 15/2014 The following is a comment placed on FaceBook by NSGA and the following comments by my wonderful family and friends....showing all the support I need.....
|
|
Jenny leaves tomorrow (14) for a dental checkup....If no further work is needed on her teeth, she may be going home Sunday. Jenny's dental checkup went fine so she is going to her forever home March 16/14 She was a pleasure. We are not sure if Oliver is missing Jenny or realizes her beds are being picked up! Judy actually melted after I sent this shot to her and left one of the beds for him to use on deck! He is so spoiled! Sometimes, some of the dogs you just bond to.....Nonie and Jenny had their moment. Just as people in life, something draws you close to certain ones, and if you are truly lucky they become Old Friends and Old Dogs. First day of spring 2014 We have just heard from Jenny 's forever home. She is still struggling with slipping on floors and outside ice, Poor girl. They have had to carpet kitchen to help her along. She is loving the grandchildren they are throwing stuffies and the hogging them in her crate, there is no room for her to sleep! Nice to hear Jenny, enjoy.
|



















What a wonderful tribute Heather to all the dogs you have helped transition from track to home. I so wish I had done something like this with the ?hundreds of dogs that have passed through my home. You were a very important part of their journey and should be very proud. It has been a pleasure working with you and I look forward to working with you again - can't wait to give Oliver another bed mate :-)
ReplyDelete